Cassie and Chris 2016

Cassie and Chris 2016

Our Story

It all started in a seminary class in high school, with a "mop-headed boy" and a dancer/singer who sat behind him. As only friends in high school, and then reuniting after Christopher's mission, we were married in the LDS temple in Manti, Utah, and have now been married for over 7 years.

On January 16, 2013, Cassie was diagnosed with a stroke. As a result, many of our dreams and goals were delayed. But we were not to be deterred. Chris graduated in 2014 and currently works at Imagine Learning, and Cassie graduated in 2016 and now volunteers at the hospital while maintaining the apartment.

As we now commence on our journey to adopt, please spread the word! Comments are welcome as expressions of love and support. Most important is the faith and prayers offered in our behalf. So we invite you to share in our journey, as we look back in time to the beginning of the emergency and then update you to the joys and trials we face together. This is our story.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Romance Is In the Air – February 17, 2013

The flowers I got for Cassie
Cassandra is doing really good in rehab.  Her speech is getting more and more understandable every day. She is working really hard in all of her therapies. She will probably be here another 2 weeks. We have found that when she feels up to it, she draws strength from visitors.  We appreciate your patience as we go through this process.  We also want her to be able to draw strength from people, knowing that she is loved and cared for. 

Contributed by Amy Lilly

Today is again the Sabbath Day and time for some reflection.  This has been an extremely blessed week with many miracles happening.  Of course, Cassie continues to improve day-by-day.  Sometimes it is difficult for her to see progress, and she is becoming increasingly aware of things and expressing herself well.  She has finally said “Poop!”  One of her therapists in the ICU would always ask her to say that (she would always give him "the look" mixed with amusement and disgust when he requested this) and now she can.  She has also developed the ability to say the hard “k” and “c” sounds which has been difficult for her.  She is now stringing together words into phrases and sentences, and it has been discovered that when she does not overthink as she speaks the words come easily.  It is such a blessing for me to see all of these normal things coming back, and I hope she recognizes the steps she is taking.

I am still considering whether or not to move into one of the family’s houses or retain the apartment.  I am curious, and might, retain the apartment to see how we might survive financially.  The one thing that might be forsaken is the savings, as I am fairly confident we can handle the normal monthly bills on just my salary.  On the other hand, there is the question of her physical impairments obstructing her ability to handle stairs and the layout of the apartment.  My family’s house has the least amount of stairs and the Lilly’s have the largest set.  Now that Cassie is able to communicate much better, and might be able to use the iPad to write her responses, I need to talk to her about the options.
Amy and Cassie went down to the hospital
gift shop and purchased this for me ...
a candy bouquet


Amy and the Myers setting up the
romantic evening
Beautiful Cassie with a new necklace and
feeling good!
Anyone say decadent?
The Valentine's Day dinnertime spread
The love birds
I do have to recount what happened on Valentine’s Day.  I did wake up with a spark of genius, trying to think of how to give her the perfect gift.  I ended up deciding to give her a handwritten love note.  I knew this would mean something to her because it requires writing, which is not one of my favorite things.  Also, it takes time and thought to do it.  I also purchased her a dozen pink roses and my mother half a dozen yellow roses.  It was a pleasant day as usual.  The parents and friends, on the other hand, were planning behind our backs to give us a romantic evening.  The Matt and Sydney Clayson bought dinner; Noah and Kaitie Myers delivered the food (Panda Express and Sweet Tooth Fairy cupcakes); Amy set up a nice tablecloth and holiday decorations.  So beginning at 6 PM, we had the evening to ourselves.  There was crying, laughing, smiling, kissing – all the good things one might expect from a date.  This one was incredibly special.  I felt a swelling in my heart for Cassie, bigger and brighter than I have felt since marrying her.  I have truly grown more in love with her, and take pleasure in knowing that she loves me and is my wife.  I actually had to carry the conversation, and Cassie could really only respond very childlike.  But I was amazed with how the evening went and just the love that was evident.  The nurses did not even disturb us until I went out to get them at 9 PM to get Cassie ready for bed (they even put a sign on the door, making manifest the romantic date in progress).  We also watched The Adjustment Bureau and really just had a wonderful evening.  I could not imagine any more perfect date.  Cassie just had the perfect smile on her face the whole time.  She was even “dolled up,” having makeup on and attired in some of her nicer clothes.  I’m sure she wanted to be beautiful to me, but she is always so.  I have gotten used to the lack of makeup, yet I know that it is important to her and something that makes her happy.  I hope that the date was as special to her as it was to me, and I’m sure it was.  I can just see her now: the glow from the outside lights illuminating behind her as we ate, the smile that pulled to the left side of her face but still maintaining its magical look, her curly locks (even with the absence of some lost hair) cascading down her head as she used to do it.

The wonderfully pleasing Panda Express
She has been having difficult times at night.  One night she thought about the miscarried baby, and last night expressed that there is no one there at night with her.  So Ariana altruistically volunteered to stay the night with her, and then I will stay Sunday night with her.  I cannot believe I have to return to work so soon, and wish I had thought of staying the night.  I am sure Cassie has been trying to say this to us, and has finally conveyed the message to us all.  I do look forward to it, and it will be a blessing when eventually she graduates to the transition room and I can sleep in the same bed with her and enjoy the evening that way.  But sleeping in the recliner won’t be a bad thing either.  Apparently, Amy said that when she came in this morning it was the happiest morning for Cassie in a long time.  I think having family there through the night was comforting, even if it was for that simple fact of having a loved one nearby.

Contributed by Christopher Holt



The nurse-made sign: DO NOT DISTURB
Cassie and Chris posing with their respective bouquets

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful :) What a wonderful Valentines you created!

    ReplyDelete